Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


So it’s technically not thanksgiving yet in the U.S. but right now on the ship it is. Yay! I know I have not posted in a while. Asia was amazing. I had so much fun there and just learned a lot.  China and Japan were both so different. I got to meet many new people from around the world while in the countries. I will be posting more about them soon. It’s crunch time on the ship right now. This is our last week of  classes and then Hawaii, then finals, then home!!! It’s a weird feeling to think that this journey will be over in just a few short weeks. As we reach the end, and it is Thanksgiving, here’s a list of a few things I’m thankful for:

My family-without them, I wouldn’t be here. Thanks to their support, this journey is something that I have truly enjoyed and because of how my parents raised me, it’s not difficult to say that I have a greater appreciation for this trip than some of the people that I have met and that I have learned a whole lot more about the importance of family.

My friends from home-many of my friends have made conscious efforts to keep in touch with me; it’s nice to know that they will still be there when I get home and that I can always count on them for support. Also, for Corri and Maricel, the two of them have helped me out so much when it comes to keeping in touch with people at home.  They have posted blogs, passed on messages and even given me messages.  This has proven helpful especially when the internet is slow, or I have no way of getting in touch with others from home except through them. 

Everyone from home that has given me support in anyway- I’ve said this several times before, but I love hearing about how people are reading the blog and enjoy what they are reading.  This voyage would not be possible were it not for many of you.  The support you have shown me is absolutely fantastic.  Every time I go to a new place, or have a new experience, I think of how excited I am to share my pictures and stories (and believe me, there’re a lot). 

My ship family- this includes so many people.  From the friends I’ve made on the ship, to my ship mom and brothers/sisters, to everyone from work, to professors.  Its amazing the people that I’ve met in just a few short months and making plans already to visit.  With friends planning on coming to NY to visit to us planning visits to New Orleans, California, New Hampshire, a return trip to Singapore and even a visit to Nepal.  It’s going to be tough going back to “real life” and not seeing people from the ship every day.  

the life that I have been blessed with- When he speaks to us, Desmond Tutu reminds us that we are young and we have a whole life ahead of us and to take advantage of every opportunity we can.  In one instance he told us to “Dream! Dream the impossible dreams!” He forced us to think of everything we have been given and the opportunities that are right in front of us.  From him, I have learned to put things into perspective.  I have been building up a sort of ladder throughout my life of who I am and how I see things.  This voyage has increased it many times.  I have understood just how small the world is and that we need to realize our responsibility to others and ourselves.  True happiness comes from within and we need to be sure that we let ourselves show to others.  Hiding will only get us so far and the truth will win out.  A shirt I bought in South Africa says, “History depends on who wrote it.” This is such a true statement.  We read about certain things in history, but until we stop and listen to those that lived it and saw it, what we see will be a sort of opaque version.  This has occurred in many forms for me on this voyage.  One of the most prominent ways was when I went to Robben Island and spent that time with Coach. I learned that Robben Island is not simply the place where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned but that so much more occurred there. Other times, this occurred was when I have with a group of people both from the ship and the topic of 9/11 has come up.  Many people on the ship are from other parts of the U.S. and even other parts of the world.  A lot of what these people have learned has come from the media or friends of friends in a sense.  When I have talked to them about how I was affected by 9/11 especially being so close to Manhattan, they often ask what it was like being a 6th grader and what I felt and went though.  I am grateful that I live in a country where we are encouraged to be open about our experiences and what we feel and our opinions and we can speak our minds.  In some of the countries I have gone to, this is not allowed to happen and there are strict restrictions places on the media and freedom of speech.  

This voyage has been out of this world. I am so grateful for every opportunity that I have been given and it has taught me to have no regrets and to take risks.  I have learned to “do something that scares me every day”… well almost every day. I have done so much that I don’t think I would normally have done at home, I have a greater sense of resolve and I am stronger than I was before.  I am excited to try new things and take greater opportunities and really go for it.  I am working on business plans to work with companies in South Africa and around the world and I have made friends from around the world.  i am so thankful for everyone that I have met and everything that I have had the chance to do and am excited to see what else is in store in the future and have learned to “Dream!!! Dream the impossible dreams!!!”

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! Love you all!!! Can’t wait to see everyone in just a few weeks!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment